Information obtained from the Minto Business Retention & Expansion Survey (2007)
66 Businesses were surveyed
Impression of the Community
- 73% of the businesses surveyed said that Minto is a good to excellent place to do business.
- 70% of businesses surveyed indicated that they had no change in attitude in the last three years. Of those who did express a change in attitude 50% had a more positive attitude.
- 86% of businesses strongly agree or agree that there is plenty of convenient parking in the downtown.
- 77% of businesses believe the downtown is an excellent place to do business.
- 76% feel that the look and feel of the downtown helps their business.
- 76% believe that the existing business mix in the downtown helps their business.
Advantages of Doing Business in Minto
- Location on major traffic routes
- Friendly community
- Central location - one hour from cities and one hour from beaches
- Lower business and housing costs
- Rural lifestyle
Factors for doing business in Minto that were rated as good to excellent by 70% or more of the businesses
- Quality of life
- Support from local business
- Telecommunication infrastructure capacity
- Access to markets, customers and clients
- Availability of utilities
- Labour costs
- Access to suppliers
Improving the Retail Business Environment
- Façade Improvement Grant Program (announced in 2009)
- Streetscape Plan (completed in 2008, implementation in 2010 & 2011)
- Business Recruitment Program (2010)
- Clean streets, sidewalks and landscaping
- Public washrooms
Number and Type of New Businesses Opened (2010 - Present)
- Primerica (2010)
- Barnaby's Car Wash & Laundry Mat (2010)
- Mike's Auto Parts & Service (2010) & Find A Part (2012)
- OSIM Interactive (2010)
- Lakeridge Heating & Cooling (2011)
- South Street Cafe (2011)
- Mel's On Main (2013)
Major developments planned, underway and recently completed
- A subdivision for the community of Harriston is being proposed that would create 200 new homes.
- Streetscape improvements which include public space enhancements, interlocking brick boulevards, lighting, plantings, street furniture and public art will begin in the spring of 2010.
- "Harriston, the hub where it starts" had been developed and will be further developed to include joint advertising opportunities, events etc.
- Highway 109 Guelph St. Bridge Main St. Harriston
- 15, 511 AADT (2006, County of Wellington)
- 3,950 AADT (2006, Ministry of Transportation)