Information obtained from the Minto Business Retention & Expansion Survey (2007)
66 Businesses were surveyed
Impression of the Community
- 73% of the businesses surveyed said that Minto is a good to excellent place to do business.
- 70% of businesses surveyed indicated that they had no change in attitude in the last three years. Of those who did express a change in attitude 50% had a more positive attitude.
- 86% of businesses strongly agree or agree that there is plenty of convenient parking in the downtown.
- 77% of businesses believe the downtown is an excellent place to do business.
- 76% feel that the look and feel of the downtown helps their business.
- 76% believe that the existing business mix in the downtown helps their business.
Advantages of Doing Business in Minto
- Location on major traffic routes
- Friendly community
- Central location - one hour from cities and one hour from beaches
- Lower business and housing costs
- Rural lifestyle
Factors for doing business in Minto that were rated as good to excellent by 70% or more of the businesses
- Quality of life
- Support from local business
- Telecommunication infrastructure capacity
- Access to markets, customers and clients
- Availability of utilities
- Labour costs
- Access to suppliers
Improving the Retail Business Environment
- Façade Improvement Grant Program (announced in 2009)
- Streetscape Plan (completed in 2008, implementation in 2010 & 2011)
- Business Recruitment Program (2010)
- Clean streets, sidewalks and landscaping (Communities in Bloom National Champions 2009)
- Public washrooms
Number and Type of New Businesses Opened
- Cakes, Cookies & More (2012)
- The Bookery (2012)
- The Prescription Shop (2012 - new build)
- Rite Trak Realty (2010)
- Woodpeckers of Palmerston (2010)
Major developments planned, underway and recently completed
- The Palmerston Lions Heritage Park is in the process of being developed to include the following elements: interlocking brick walking trails, memorial Tree Park, amphitheatre, sports centre and numerous other elements.
- Streetscape improvements which include public space enhancements, interlocking brick boulevards, lighting, plantings, street furniture and public art began in the fall of 2009.
- "Palmerston, run with it!" has been developed and will be further developed to include joint advertising opportunities, events etc.
- 0.5 km East of Wellington Road 8 - with a AADT of 4,984 (2007)
- 0.2 km East of Wellington Road 5 (Toronto St.) - with a AADT of 4,100 (2007)
- 0.1 km North of Wellington Road 123 - with a AADT of 3,837 (2007)